Wednesday 29 June 2016

To Thin or Not to Thin


     

     For two days I've gone out to my garden, sat on a stool bent over for about an hour, and diligently thinned my carrots. They were thick, thick, and it seems I've yet to figure out how to plant them thinner though I try (I mix them with coffee grounds). 
      
     And this is the first thinning! I usually do it twice. 
     I was talking to a friend the other day and she said, "You know, I never thin my carrots. They get thinned a bit as I harvest the small ones, but that's all I do!"
     Hmmm. But old habits die hard. I can't help but wonder if I'd get as good of a crop with no thinning. Do I want to take that chance? Obviously not - just ask my aching back.
     I was chatting on FaceTime with my sister this morning - I love FaceTime, I was doing my dishes at the same time, showing her my garden, etc. Anyhow I mentioned carrot thinning to her and she said, "Why don't you leave some un-thinned and make a comparison?"
     Duh!

I have three wide row sections of carrots, one a little smaller than the other two, so, yep, I'm gonna try that no thinning idea on the smallest section. Wish me luck. If I could avoid that chore I'd be pretty pleased. 

 




2 comments:

  1. Good Luck--let us know how it works out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding it difficult to keep my hands off. Thinning is really ingrained in my gardening mind.

      Delete