Friday 28 February 2020

A Leisurely Country Stroll

A Leisurely Country Stroll


Oh my, you’re so lucky, country lady! Just step out the door and walk wherever you like, no traffic, no people, just the serenity of nature, ahhh, wonderful! 


But walking in the country can be more restrictive than urbanites think. On my farm there’s unmanageable gates, electric fences, a not-so-nice ram. Once these obstacles are avoided though, there are some nice bush trails and walking can be pretty special. But add piles of deep snow and that idyllic picture changes drastically. I’m not as steady on my feet as I once was. It almost seems like my main  spring has sprung. For me right now, walking a snow covered foot trodden trail, cross country skiing or snowshoeing are out of the question. I could walk the local roadways, but I always take 3 - 6 dogs and don’t want to worry about traffic or a confrontation with neighbouring dogs. So, due to the hitch in my get-along, in winter I can only walk our plowed 1/4 mile driveway.


Then there’s the ice! A wee melt, an overnight freeze, freezing rain - a good recipe  for a skating rink! Standing becomes challenging, walking isn’t a pleasure, it’s a tricky trek back and forth from one safe spot to another! 


And getting ready to go out for a walk - you need gear - hiking boots, work boots, mud boots, snow boots, or boots with ice cleats on the bottom, toques, mitts, jackets, trekking poles! Makes the recliner look pretty inviting! 


Town walking isn’t great either, parking lots are particularly treacherous. Maybe a treadmill? Move to a warmer climate? Wait for the  spring thaw? 


Suck it up and stop being a pansy? That’s it, I can/will do this. If I take my camera maybe I can remind myself of winter’s beauty. It is beautiful, yes, and so very serene.






mltipton.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/Northof543/

Feb. 28, 2020





No comments:

Post a Comment