Saturday 25 February 2017

Curve Balls

         Life sends us curve balls that cannot be ignored. If you don't catch them or bat them away they can whack you in the head!
So, all those plans I had for going to help my sister move to her new apartment evaporated in an instant with a pair of feet sliding out from under my husband on a sheet of ice. Four broken ribs, an operation scheduled...
My sister is still moving. Her friends have been fabulous and I can't thank them enough. But I so wish I could be there to help. Moving a full house to a small apartment is a daunting task - what can you take, what should you leave, what should you give away or sell, where or where did you pack that??? If your elderly and your health isn't optimum it's even more overwhelming. But her new place is nice, she can have her cat, and the food, she tells me, is scrumptious. Fingers crossed that all goes well...
The ice we've been contending with, caused by a warm spell and a fresh layer of snow, is treacherous. The snow hides the ice and does not adhere to it, so it's a bit like stepping on a sled. Even ice cleats and trekking poles do not guarantee that you'll remain upright! I can attest to that since I've have fallen several times myself. I guess my extra padding comes in handy for something...
We're doing okay - we have many caring friends willing to help. Maybe we haven't hit a home-run, but that curve ball won't knock us out.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment