Monday 2 November 2015

The Not-So-Humble Rag



     Once again I clamp my lips shut to stifle my desire to comment. I'm watching a friend react to a spill at the table by grabbing a handful of paper napkins to blot it up when the kitchen sink and a dishrag are 3 steps away. I've also seen people using large quantities of paper towels to scoop bacon grease from their fry pan when they could easily pour it into a can, then use just one piece to mop up the remaining bit. I watch TV ads showing the use of supposedly "sponge" like paper towels to clean up messes the kids make, and more ads promoting the use of disposable, scented, antibacterial cloths to wipe counters. Many folks pay lip service to our society's overuse of disposable products; shake their heads and talk about all the trees being cut down. But purchase and use of these convenient products has not followed the environmentally conscious public's idealistic thought processes.

     People are surprised when I use cloth napkins at my table. They're almost afraid to use them because they might get them dirty!  At my house we use napkin rings to identify our own napkin and toss it in the wash when we decide it's time. And, to quote a cliche, they wash like a rag.

    When most people think "rags" they think about old clothes torn up, usually cotton for better absorbency (synthetics make lousy rags). Rags like that are useful, especially in workshops and garages. If you have no cotton garments ready to toss you can often purchase rags from non-profit agencies that make money on the sale of rags. Good for these agencies to recognize "use" where waste was before and good for those who support their cause.

    Rags, in the 21st century, have come a long way! You would be amazed at some of the unbelievably absorbent, washable, reusable, super efficient wiper-uppers there are out there. One that comes to mind is advertised on TV, that shammy like rag that works pretty darn good. But my son recently introduced me to an even better, more absorbent rag, one that wrings out almost dry and picks up liquids better than any paper product on the market. (I was resistant to buy them despite his praises. He had to buy some for me.) They are so good that I use them to remove all the hard water drops from my stainless steel sink and my cooking pots, making them look clean instead of spotty. I can soak up a spill like a super vacuum cleaner! And, unlike kitchen towels which break water droplets into smaller water droplets but don't really dry, these rags actually dry things! Their only drawback is their colour (bright yellow) - they do stain easily. So I keep some for floor rags and others for counters, tables or dishes, not because they don't wash well, but because a stained rag is not pleasing to the eye.

     Why not join the yellow revolution and put a not-so-humble rag within easy reach? It'll save space in your trash bin, it'll wash like a rag, and you can, as is commonly said, be the change you want to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment