Thursday 27 August 2015

Mind and Body




Bottle washing 
     I've been reading a blog called Becoming Minimalist written by Joshua Becker (becomingminimalist.com). He recently mentioned that he has decided to become a full time writer. Bravo for him...but...but...how!


2nd batch, ready to bottle


     His blog title tells us he lives minimally and his blogs are often an interesting and worthwhile read, and I know if we make up our minds, become truly determined, we can do many things we thought we had no time for - priorities and all that. Maybe he has money or needs very little or both, or maybe someone else is doing all the mundane things that tend to consume a major portion of our time, or maybe he doesn't need sleep... who knows. I know I nearly always steal time, with accompanying guilt, in order to write. I write continuously in my mind, but it seems like my body is always doing something else!

     "Something else" now is garden - it's production and preserving time - and one means I have chosen to preserve berries is to make wine.  This year I had a bumper crop of raspberries, and my friend who provides me with honeyberries did too, so I am embarking on double batches of each. I never put too much thought into the number of bottles I'd need, or for that matter that my wine rack holds a maximum of 50!

     Ahh well. Today I'm washing bottles for the second batch of honeyberry wine, ready to bottle today or tomorrow. I'm putting out an all important bulletin to all my close neighbors to save wine bottles (the kind that use corks) for the upcoming raspberry batches. And I just stole some time to write. Might have to crack a wee bottle of honeyberry to fortify myself...

     Well, maybe not, wouldn't get a thing done if I did that...

1 comment: